Monday, June 27, 2011

Bee Love


I had the great pleasure of attending the premiere showing of the film Queen of the Sun last week . It came as a part of the Asheville International Pollinator Week. I can't express how inspired I am after seeing this film. I know that bees are are  incredible creatures, but this film really brought my awe and appreciation for them to a new level. I also feel the calling to protect and nurture them, as they do so much for us. Thankfully, my dear friend and neighbor, Heather, has started keeping bees this summer and I can enjoy watching them swoop over the fence and into my garden. Someday, I would really like to take a workshop with Gunter Hauk at Spikenard Farm and Honeybee Sanctuary. To hear Gunter speak of the bees in the film, as did many other wonderful beekeepers, it was truly beautiful to hear their reverence and deep gratitude.

In honor of the honeybees, I brought the bee mobile project to our local handwork group that meets at Azalea Mountain. I found the idea in one of my very favorite books, All Year Round.



2 comments:

Gae said...

Love the bee wreath. I made these for summer for our seasons table.
Love your blog so have followed it for a while now and visitng.
would love you to take a look at mine when you have time
I also love All seasons round book
blessings
Gae
ps the post above is lovely too with that great desert

skomemo said...

What a lovely collection of beautiful moments! This is such a wonderful way to journal your journey. Now I can see all the wonderful thing you offer to your family and community. It was great meeting you in RSC. Keeo in touch! yoriko