Saturday, May 8, 2010

Sisters in the City


I took a weekend in San Francisco with my sister, Amy, to celebrate her birthday. What a beautiful gift. It gave me the chance to dive deeply into my own self, enjoy the natural rhythm and pace of our own making. We walked all day long, ate well, and crashed happily in our hotel in the evening. It felt wonderful to fill my senses with a world apart from my own,  knowing that the this small increment is enough to nourish my creativity. I felt so content with three nights away, and so very happy to come home again. Alas, I am not a big city girl! I love to feel relaxed and low key in my little green haven of western NC. What an affirming and joyful realization that was.

Some favorite things about my stay in San Francisco:

Chinatown- vibrant, colorful, fun!
Filbert Steps - such a beautiful stroll down from Coit tower to the bay, where the beautiful wild parrots of Telegraph Hill can be seen (We spotted them at Washington Square Park)
Golden Gate Hotel - great location, wonderful personnel, fresh croissants and coffee every morning (tea and cookies in the afternoon) dogs and cat to greet us
Greens Restaurant - best meal I've had all year. Delicious, beautiful, savored every bite!
Fort Mason communtity garden - beautiful, charming haven with a view of the city
Cable cars - yes, a cliché, but really such a fun way to see the city
House of Nanking - great food, the chef ordered for us and it was superb
Strolling Haight Ashbury - coco-luxe chocolates, (pine-nut and sage chocolate brittle, raw honey dipped chocolate, elderflower truffles) colorlful Nepalese shops
Walking the Labyrinth at Grace Cathedral (based on Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Chartres)
Our days were entirely unplanned until we got together, looked at our maps and decided which direction to head for the day. Laughing and celebrating with my amazing sister all weekend long was the best of all!









~Special thanks to Daddy-o and Grandma for holding down the fort while I was gone~

3 comments:

Amy said...

Awwwwe Emmm, I miss you already:) What a most beautiful,special, and inspiring weekend-amazing photos!
I LOVE YOU!!!xo

Gabriele Kubo said...

WOW! I have never been to San Francisco but your beautiful pictures make me want to leave tomorrow. I am missing beautiful cities here in Japan......

Anonymous said...

so glad you got a chance to get away - looks fabulous!