Saturday, June 19, 2010

Tutorial: Making Lavender Wands

My friend, Tracy, was so kind to share this wonderful project with the Foundation Studies group today. We are on a summer break from the workshops, but a small group gathered today to discuss the temperaments, work on an art project,  and learn beautiful songs together. Thanks, Julie, for leading the group today!

Tracy brought lavender from her home, and walked us through these simples steps to making the wands. They smell so wonderful, I plan to make a bunch more to give as presents.

Materials:
*Fresh lavender stems (9-11 per wand) *3-4ft  ribbon or yarn per wand (I would recommend a 1/4" satin, organza or other lightweight ribbon) *scissors

Step one: gather 9 or 11 lavender stems,(you need an odd number) and line up the blossoms at the top of the stem. Leave a tail about 10 inches on one side, longer on the other side. Tie a double knot just below the blossoms.

Step two: Turn the stems blossom down. Gently fold the stems over the blossoms, enclosing them in the center. Allow the shorter end of the ribbon to flow down in the center of the blossoms, and take the long end and reach it out at the top.

Step three: Begin to weave the long end of ribbon in and out of the stem, enclosing the blossoms. Try to arrange the stems so that they are evenly spaced around the flowers and take care to get the pattern established. Over, under, over, under... Stop to gently get ribbons lined up properly.

Step four: Once you have reached the bottom of the flowers, tie off the shorter ribbon and long end, wrap a few times and make a bow, if desired. Trim the stems to desired length, and voila! It smells so wonderful!

My younger kids did not have the patience to weave, so they just wrapped the ribbon around the blossom after step one. They still smell wonderful and look sweet, too. Enjoy!

17 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, i love this!

Ariella said...

mmmm. . . lovely!

gardenmama said...

Thank you for sharing such beauty!
Lavender is a favorite scent of mine!

Guusje said...

Will do! Thanks,my son is a troubled sleeper lately....
Will make some for his room.

Anonymous said...

oh these are so lovely!! I can smell the sweet scent of lavender here on the other side of the world:)
thx!

Tonya Gunn said...

This is something I have been wanting to try - did you use ribbon or yarn?
Our lavender should be ready to pick in a few days.
Thanks and warm wishes, Tonya

onegoldensun said...

Hi Tonya

We used yarn because we ran out of ribbon! I had very thin ribbon, but this was challenging for the kids to work with. A medium width (like 1/4 inch or so)ribbon is easier to use. Hope that helps!

Theresa said...

wonderful

Earthboys said...

We visited my husband's parents who live in the S. of France last year this time. The fragrance of the lavender was in the air. I enjoyed the cool evening outside sipping herbal teas of fresh lavender, rosemary, mint and verbena picked from her garden. We brought a few bunches of lavender back to Dominican Rep. with us. A year later they still smell delicious.

likeschocolate said...

Do you have a source from where you buy your lavender. I was thinking of making lavender icecream.

Lacey (schoolhousefarm) said...

how neat!! what a great idea.

waldorfpunkin said...

I love your blog - the photos are great! We just made lavender wands the other day; such a small window of opportunity... Please check out my new Waldorf blog if you get a chance.

Raelee said...

This is such a sweet project. I'm adding to my list for July. We are gathering a list of fun things to do together and I love this!

Tan Family said...

These are such fun to make! Haven't done this in a while. Now I'm inspired to makes some with the kids this summer. They are great for hanging in closets and putting in baskets with fiber for spinning to keep moths away. Thanks!

Elizabeth said...

What a lovely tutorial. Lavender is one of my favorite scents. Now to find some fresh lavender.

Moment to Moment said...

I love it, I will make some as soon as I can get my hands on some lavender.
I see from a brief glance on your blog that we share a love of herbs:)

jen at paintcutpaste.com said...

we did this and posted ours on my paintcutpaste.com blog in early june, too. i got the idea from the wonderful 5 orange potatoes blog... i love how yours turned out, as well! i keep on making them (lavender still blooming here!) to give as gifts.