Sunday, May 17, 2009

Artful Finds




One thing I love to do is making artful things. I love to draw, to paint, to sculpt with clay, to felt wool, to bake, to knit... But I really like to have windows of uninterrupted time to create, which is next to impossible for me (as I am sure other mothers can relate to.) I have not found a way to exercise my flexibility and will to get myself into the creative process more often. It seems to challenging to put this need above the many other needs competing for my attention. I am seeking that balance every day. But when my energy lacks, and I cannot find the focus and time to make something myself, the next thing that I love to do is appreciate the fine work of others! So, in lieu of my own offering of creativity, here is what I am appreciating right now:



Yesterday I had a lovely time browsing local artists at the Howard Street handmade Indie Craft Faire. What a treat it was to get inspired. And next door, is the incredible newly opened Short Street Cakes. My family was more than thrilled for me to bring home delicious handmade strawberry shortcake cupcakes. Yum. I can see this being my new favorite spot.



This gorgeous Hazel Anne skirt was a most lovely gift to myself! I feel so treated to be able to wear something stylish and support my talented friend. It is so comfortable and unique, I love it. Check out Anne's new website, blog and etsy shop.


Here are some of Mia's recent artworks. I love the sunflower, it is made with tissue paper to catch light in the window.

















I usually indulge myself a few interesting handmade items to spruce up my thrift-shop wardrobe. This is one well-crafted and functional bag, made with Joel Dewberry fabric by Debos. I love etsy.








I absolutely love the ethereal artwork by Liza Paizis. She is another wonderful etsy artist, based in Sydney, Australia. I have this print framed, I just need to hang it the wall!











Here are a few of Vivienne's artworks. She calls this first one the Spirit of the Sky.











These awesome nature scavenger cards by blynkennod were given to Jasper for his birthday ~ (Thank you, Sadie and Tif!) They are laminated and come in a sweet linen bag. It is perfect activity for a walk in the park.









Now that I have had fun with photos, I am ready to get back to my own project! I do have something that I am ready to get working on... look for an update soon!





What inspires your creativity?

11 comments:

la lune dans le ciel said...

excuse me but my English is hard! I like the drawings of children ... and your look;)

Catherine said...

Hi, I love your blog! I just discovered it since you left a comment on mine... I will come back often. Homeschooling is amazing! I cannot imagine doing it differently, but it sure is a commitment. I am sure you have the inner discipline to do it. It will not be a Waldorf school at home. It will be you and your beautiful kids in the warm atmosphere of your home, surrounded by your love and your life. I am very convinced that homeschooling is the most healing and healthy decision for my family... If you feel it inside, brush your fears away, join the Waldorf at home forum and the Waldorf home educators yahoo group and get started!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with la lun dans le ciel: I like your look, my heart melts whenever I see a drawing made by a child and I'm now off to have a look at the Etsy shops you've recomended. Great post....oooh and what inspires my creativity? Passionate people!!

Leanne said...

Oh I can absolutely relate to the challenge you describe in finding a balance for our creative selves...I look forward to your update.

Tan Family said...

Wonderful post! I love your new, beautiful skirt...

lasourceauxbois said...

Thanks to your comment left on my blog, I've discovered yours and I find it simply great and full of grace : the grace of nature, the grace of art and the grace of childhood.

jane said...

hey there- great post! we post corner views on wed. with the following week´s theme. this wed´s theme is "coffee." i´ve already added your link to this week´s list. can´t wait to see more from your corner. un beso-jane

Sophie said...

my english is bad but i understand.
I like your blog and your activities.
A good day for you and your beautiful family.

Mama Randa Morning Glory said...

i love the nature scavenger cards-- I may just have to make some (if I ever find the time)!

april said...

thanks for visiting. i like your thougts, your pictures and your words about art. the hazel anne skirt is just wonderful. and yes i've to think about what inpires my creativity...will let you know. wish you a happy artful day*

mamas kram said...

I love all the artworks from your family! The drawings from your children are so lovely! I think it's wonderful when the whole family makes creativ things (and it's also wonderful to indulge something to oneself).
"Greetings" from Switzerland, Doris