Sunday, January 31, 2010

Weekend Bliss

One nice thing about having to get up at the crack of dawn and walk the puppy, is to see the early light of sunrise on the fresh snow. And to see the quiet full moon hovering above the horizon, then slowly sinking from view. That couple of minutes fed my spirit for the whole day ahead.


Another  thing that I am grateful for on a snowy weekend, is the slowing down of time. Instead of busying around town, trying to run errands and do grocery shopping, I stayed home and reconnected with my family, my piles of laundry, and my to-do lists. This was an all together good thing for me. David made a nice breakfast this morning, the kids spent hours sledding and playing in the snow with friends, and I got plenty done in a quiet house. Just me and the sink of dishes. Luxurious, perhaps not... but wonderful, peaceful and productive, yes indeed! I even had some time visiting with a friend, catching up on conversation while the kids played. Now this is a treat.

Tomorrow, Mia and I start a new unit block with the Finnish epic, Tales from the Kalevala. I have started reading ahead and feel very excited to get started. It has a mysteriousness about it, and I look forward to unveiling the language and finding meaning inside. The words are forming images in my mind already, it should be an interesting study.   I also had time to read my book club selection for the month, Clash of Civilizations over an Elevator in Piazza Vitorrio. Loved it. Such a rare treat to read for pleasure.

David's salmon and bagel breakfast

A sweet surprise that arrived just in time for our big snow, was a gift of hats from our dear neighbors and friends. A new winter's hat was knitted for each child by Heather and her daughter, Sadie. The kids love them and feel so pleased to be adorned with beautiful handmade gifts. Such love!




And I share a song that inspires me on this Winter's day here. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Heather said...

What a wonderful box of treasures to receive. Hand knit hats are one of our favorite parts of the winter season. Enjoy