Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Little Gnome Tutorial

The days are growing shorter, bringing us indoors a bit longer each day. All things woolen and comforting call my name. This is the time of year that I especially enjoy crafty projects and good books, alongside a cup of hot tea to sip. One project that Mia, Jasper and I enjoyed yesterday was a wonderful ornament shared by my dear friend, Ines. Many thanks for letting me share this charming project! It reminds me so much of little gnomes that I remember from my Grandma's Christmas Tree. They are such cute little characters, we can't stop making them.



Step one: Gather materials. Need wool roving for head, wool felt for caps (cut into little triangles), white wool for beards, little pine cones (we used hemlock), cotton thread, needle and glue (we use a glue gun)
Step two:The little round heads can be water felted or needle felted. Heads and beards are glued to the pine cone body.



Step three: caps are sewn with a doubled thread, from bottom of cap to tip, leaving extra length for hanging. Cap an then be glued to head.

Now you have a cheery little gnome to dance on your Christmas tree!


Thanks again to Ines for sharing this cute little project! Vielen Dank!

13 comments:

Joy said...

Those are adorable!

momma rae said...

thank you ines and emily! these are so cute. we have a LOT of hemlock cones and i am thrilled to have another project to use them for. ;)

Beth said...

I love them! I'm going to make some, and also some little ones to play with. love, Beth

Jen said...

The gnomes are really cute! They look whimsical on your tree - thanks for sharing this neat idea!

Pussnae said...

Those are so cute!

Linda said...

I love these, thanks so much for sharing:)

;) said...

Adorable !!!! I'll try ! Thanks for the idea !

Tonya Gunn said...

These are so sweet - and we have some hemlock cones - this will be a great project.
Warm wishes.

Anonymous said...

I am one of those Mamas who light up when I see miniatures so....these really make me smile! thank you for sharing!

Juli Ford said...

These are adorable! Thanks for sharing!

Tan Family said...

So cute! Simple and precious. Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. Now, if only we could find tiny cones like those...neat!

Mama Rose said...

These are absolutely adorable! Thank you for sharing the tutorial :D

healing hillary said...

darling!