Saturday, August 8, 2009

Late Summer Days


Already, I am noticing the signs of a change in season. The air is getting crisp in the evening, and the days are growing short. The garden is moving from the bright blossoms to the warm oranges and yellows of late summer. I am trying to savor every bit of sunlight and fill my memory with the sounds, tastes and fragrances of the season. Our week has been filled with summer delights. We picked tons of blueberries, built fairy houses, snapped pods of the lovely touch-me-not (also known as jewel weed- a dear friend to those of us who are sensitive to poison ivy.)







We worked on our CSA farm, took Grandma for a visit to our favorite swimming hole at the river, feasted on fresh veggies from the garden, and watched the Montford Park Players perform Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew. It is a late evening for the kids, but they hang in there to the end. I am impressed with how much the kids love it.






Today they made their own production entitled "The Alaskan Princess and the Pizza Guy, " Mia narrated and played the African drum for sound effects. It was hilarious. Vivienne later became "Princess of the Kudzu Forest" as we took our evening stroll.





I discovered a new favorite pasta recipe, in Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone (my very favorite cook book). It is corn flour spaghetti with fresh corn, tomato, cilantro and lime. I didn't have the scallions, but it was delicious. The kids even loved it and had extra helpings.




A life without love is like a year without summer

~Swedish proverb

6 comments:

Ana Cristina Abreu said...

wow
great shots!!

happy day

Scintilla said...

Hello there..I found you through your comment on another blog...I am glad I did. Your words and photos are full of warmth. Thank you..I will be back to see more. Jen

gardenmama said...

Your days are filled with such beauty and light!
We have noticed the gentle shifts in the season as well, happy summer days to you!

taisa said...

I do this too with the last of summer- soak in every last bit knowing it will be autumn before we know it. I love hearing about your kid's dramatic play. Such fun!

likeschocolate said...

I am not ready for summer to end. It is my favorite time of year! Beautiful photos!

Cate said...

love these images of late summertime. plus, you taught me something big here-the touch-me-nots! we have a field of them in our backyard here in vermont, where we're staying for a couple of weeks. i cannot wait to go out back and explore with the kids now. grazie!